Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Fence

Ok, So it has been a while, but I finally found some time out of my crazy schedule to post this one about my fence..

Well the rain stopped, and opened up to sunny, hot days. This is great because I thought I would never get to go outside and get stuff done. (Although I was out in the pouring rain a couple of days)

Lots has happened since my last post. Tons of new plant acquisitions that have far exceeded anything I could have hoped for.

But let's start with the fence, I do believe that is where we left off.

First I used my sweeeet sixth grade math skillz to find the circumference (perimeter according to Nancy) of the rectangle. You know the drill, add all the sides up. Since my garden is 38' X 13' (That would be 38 + 38 + 13+ 13 = 102 for all you non-smart people) I decided I would need a little over 100'of fencing.. Perfect! I found some old fencing around here i could use for my second door, picked up a 100' X 4' roll for cheap and a bunch of metal fence posts, but something was missing... I needed real posts...
We're going for the backwoods special, cheap, quick & effective.
(I am a Bartholomew, it's in our family's nature)
 
Hmmmm this tree looks big enough! I was ready to go.

It was recomeneded to me that I bury it a foot beneath the ground to deter any small, ground & plant loving creatures. Sounds tedious and gruelling... But I loves me a challenge so let the trench and post hole digging begin!
 


(Ok so maybe its not quite a foot... but close enough!)

The rocks in this yard are large and everywhere (typical Connecticut bedrock.) So I decided to put them to use; they will form a nice walkway down the center that will meander ever so subtly as if you're walking in a park (I know sounds cheesy)...

Sarah came over to give me a hand.

Putting a fence up can be frustrating. With another person it's not bad, but alone is a pain...

Just had to back fill the fence line and add a custom "spare fence" gate. Not too shabby..

But let's class it up a bit shall we? Custom Fence and twisted bittersweet/oak trees attached with wire, yes please...

This will be a great home for my grapes and some more peas..



Ha! Looks like it needs a name... Any Suggestions?


It was also recomended to me that I should almost definately lime my garden, as vegetable plants prefer a sweet soil (alkalyne) high in organic matter. I put about a 40lb bag on the whole thing and raked it in. Now we're getting there.



Don't forget that you don't grow plants, you grow soil and the soil grows the plants.

The more organic matter you can add to it, the better off you are. I bought a good organic fertilizer as well as added loads of composted manure to ensure nutrient density.

1 comment:

  1. It's a really good idea to soil test. Get a soil test so you have the best info about the garden and can amend if needed in fall for next year. Ask for organic recommendations. And it is beautiful! Love the bittersweet entrance! Wish my hubby could build me this...but he's a math guy not a handy guy.

    ReplyDelete